Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The money shot.

       Back in the day if you placed an object ball, frozen on the end rail and my shot was from the kitchen. the odds of my making the bank shot to a corner kitchen pocket were about 8 to 1 in my favor, with a house cue. There were people that knew that. To them that shot was a money shot. If we were playing eight ball and I broke the odds that you would never get to shoot were about 3 to one in my favor. If we were playing snooker and I called a three rail bank to the side pocket you shouldn't bet against my making the shot.  If we were playing snooker and you followed me the likely hood of your ever getting open was very slim.
      There was a reason why all of the above were true statements for the time period. I practiced,  and I always played to win. I never shot slop. I shoot shape. The old guys would watch me practice. Before shooting I would wet my finger and touch the table. That dot on the table would very close to where the cue ball would end up after making the shot. The old guys taught me how. English is my friend.
     The result of practice and good instruction was being good at making shots most people couldn't do. Beyond that was the difference between the house rack cue and my locked up out of sight under the bar cue. I practiced with my cue. I usually played with a house cue. If I ever got my cue out  The game was on!
     Those days came before my first jewelry store "The good ol' days" The lessons learned were applied.



Always play to win. Call your shots. Set up the next shot. Play with your own cue. Be very good at doing the things most others can't do. Practice. Don't get upset if you miss a shot. The likely hood of your missing two in a row is pretty slim.  Don't forget to enjoy the game.   To me a large part of enjoying the game is the experimental,  it's the Art part of what I do. These four pieces are the result of last weeks play, problem solving and discovery. Very pressing things. Copper or aluminum  
          
.

1 comment:

  1. I just experienced a melt down in my studio - and I am back at the torch, practicing. Thanks Brad for reminding me that even the greats like you still play and experiment and may from time to time have a melt down - or a press down. Back to my play time.
    Sia

    ReplyDelete